Effects of climate change and climate variability on water availability and water management practices in Western Mediterranean
|Subject(s)||INDUSTRY , METHTODOLOGY - STATISTICS - DECISION AID , HYDRAULICS - HYDROLOGY , AGRICULTURE , SLUDGES|
|Geographical coverage||Tunisia, Portugal, Netherlands, Morocco|
|Budget (in €)||578500|
|Programme||INCO MED (FP5)|
|Objectives||- The main objective of CLIMED is to provide information on the foreseeable
climatic changes in the western Mediterranean, and through a multiple
approach which includes field hydrological databases, together with
statistical models and physically based models, perform an evaluation of how
fresh water resources will vary.
- The project addresses the problem of different land uses evapotranspiration by measuring catchment runoff at small catchments, and performs upscaling through statistical methods directed to the analysis of extreme events (flood and drought), and through the use of LISEM model. The project has an important socio-economic dimension, which relates the socio-economic dimension with the information provided by the climate and hydrological stages, in order to produce, for the selected river catchments, an assessment of the impacts of changes on fresh water availability.
- A major effort will be made to analyse and introduce bottom up approaches on available planning and policy tools. An effort will be made, based on climatic, hydrological and socio-economic dimensions, to produce a conceptual model composed by a risk assessment model and a risk management model to mitigate the impacts of climatic change.
|Results||- The main aim is to assess the impact of changes in water availability,
resultant either from climatic change, abnormal succession of dry periods,
or due to inadequate management, and their implications for water and land
use. The project tries to give light upon a few less well known areas in
what concerns the impacts of climatic change over the water resources; that
is over the evapotranspiration and runoff response of different land uses.
- A further aim is to forecast, for the various climatic scenarios, the frequency and magnitude of extreme events for selected river catchments. This project will also perform an analysis of the relationship between political and planning tools and water management and the assessment of socio-economical impacts of different scenarios on water availability.
- The main goal is to build a conceptual model able to identify the potential problems resulting from water availability changes which will support the decision-making system, and to promote bottom up participation in the definition of planning strategies and policies to mitigate the impacts of climatic change on fresh water availability.
- The main contribution of this project will be to give a sound based approach to evaluate climatic change impacts on the most striking resource in the Mediterranean: fresh water.
- The project is based on a multiple and interdisciplinary approach, which will also provide an assessment of those changes on the socio-economic dimension, and will look for mitigation measures through improved fresh water management, based on changes on planning and policy tools, by giving a stronger role to key actors participation.
|Period||[01/03/2001 - 28/02/2004]|