The European Water Initiative European Research Area Network
SPLASH is the name of the European Water Initiative European Research Area
Network (EU-WI ERA-NET). SPLASH comprises fifteen partners from eleven
European countries. The ERA-NET scheme is financed within the sixth
framework programme of the European Community, for coordination of national
and regional activities.
The strategic objectives of SPLASH are:
• to improve the effectiveness of EU member state research on water for development in Africa and the Mekong;
• deliver innovations which make a real improvement to the lives of the poor; and
• speed up the transfer of knowledge from research through to practical use.
This will be achieved through joint working on a series of ‘work package’ activities. Activities include:
• compilation and analysis of previous member state funded research in the water sector for developing countries;
• the development of good practice and lessons learned - for capacity development, identification of research needs, and how best to put research into use, leading to
• joint development, programming and funding of future research in water for development, avoiding duplication and aligned to a commonly agreed research agenda.
SPLASH, the EUWI-ERA-NET provides a mechanism to further the efforts of the EUWI research working
group. SPLASH brings together 15 European organisations involved in the funding of water for development research. The 15 organisations are from 11 countries: UK, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, Belgium, and Switzerland.
|Subject(s)||POLICY-WATER POLICY AND WATER MANAGEMENT|
|Geographical coverage||United Kingdom, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, Belgium, Switzerland|
|Budget (in €)||n/a|
|Objectives||In order for SPLASH to achieve its strategic objectives an important element
within the structure of the programme will be to establish a mechanism by
which the programme will engage and dialogue with the scientific,
practitioner and stakeholder communities within both Europe and the
This is the purpose and objective of the SPLASH Scientific Advisory Council.
|Period||[01/01/2007 - 31/12/2010]|