Conference : "Responding to the Challenge of Sustainable development in the Mediterranean"
On 6-7 April 2009, the European Economic and Social Committee is holding a conference on the theme "Sustainable Development in the Mediterranean Region" in Nice, France. It is being organised in cooperation with the Union pour la Méditerranée and the City of Nice.
The Mediterranean region is a densely populated area, with enormous potential for economic growth and vast cultural diversity. To promote sustainable development in this region, especially in the present difficult economic situation, is a major political challenge - but also a great opportunity. Through enhanced cooperation and communication from both sides of the Mediterranean Sea, we can foster the right conditions for creating good jobs, a sound environment, a better quality of life, and geopolitical stability.
The aim of the conference is to demonstrate practical examples of how civil society stakeholders are tackling sustainable development issues in the Mediterranean region.
The event will focus on three themes: water quality and prevention of pollution of the Mediterranean Sea; water management and prevention of drought; and sustainable governance of cities.
Contributions are expected from prominent speakers, notably Commissioner Dimas, the French Minister for the Environment, Mr Borloo, the Mayor of Nice, Mr Estrosi, the Mayor of Tanger, Mr Derham, Mr Henri Guaino, Head of Interministerial Mission, Union for the Mediterranean, Members of the European Parliament, business leaders, researchers and representatives from various civil society organisations. We have also invited Economic and Social Councils (ESC) from the Euromed partner countries, and regional French ESCs, who we believe are particularly involved in this issue.
- Presentation by Mr Henri-Luc Thibault "Unsustainable development trends and alternative scenarios for the Mediterranean Basin" (pdf format - 2755 kb)
- Presentation by Prof. Meinesz "Impact of pollution on marine biodiversity"(pdf format - 4 MB)
- Presentation by Mr Gilles Vincent "Le contrat de baie de la rade de Toulon et de son bassin versant" (French version only - pdf format - 7,5 MB)
- Presentation by Mr Patrick Philip "La gestion intégrée des eaux littorales" (French version only - pdf format - 7 MB)
- Presentation by Dr. Fadi Georges Comair, "Hydrodiplomatie des grands bassins au Proche-Orient" (French version only - pdf format - 802 kb)
- Presentation by Mr Marco Cremona, "Water Supply in the Mediterranean Islands: Malta’s experience" (pdf format - 654 kb)
- Presentation by Philippe Mondielli "The experience of the Principality of Monaco"(pdf format -7,6 MB)
- Presentation by Miguel Angel Rodenas "Water management in the region of Murcia" (Spanish version - pdf format 5 MB)
- Presentation by Mr Alain Mestre "Emplois, changements climatiques et énergie dans l’UE : quels enseignements pour les pays Méditerranéens" (French version only - pdf format - 226 kb)
- Presentation by Mr Thierry Bahougne "Opération d’Intérêt National ECO VALLEE - Les défis de la Gouvernance" (French version only - pdf format - 259 kb)
- Presentation by Mr Pedro Aguilo "The Baix Llobregat experience"(pdf format - 7 MB)
- Presentation by Mr Mohammad Kharchich "Système d'assainissement liquide de la ville de Tanger" (French version only - pdf format - 2,3 MB)
- Speech by Mr Christian Estrosi, MP and Mayor of Nice(French version only - pdf format - 27 kb)
- Speech by Mr Georgios Dassis, President of the employees' group of the European Economic and Social Committee(pdf format - 32 kb)
- Press release : Cooperation and partnership the keys to sustainable development in the Mediterranean
Annika Korzinek, Administrator, European Economic and Social Committee, Sustainable Development Observatory, NAT Section (environment, agriculture, rural development) Rue Belliard 99 1040 Brussels, Belgium
(email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Phone: +32 2 546 8065 ; portable: +32 475 75 32 02
|Source||The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)|
|Subject(s)||METHTODOLOGY - STATISTICS - DECISION AID , NATURAL MEDIUM , POLICY-WATER POLICY AND WATER MANAGEMENT , PREVENTION AND NUISANCES POLLUTION , WATER QUALITY , RISKS AND CLIMATOLOGY|
|Address||"Salle Emeraude", Parc Phoenix, 405 Promenade des Anglais, 06000 Nice, France|
|Organizer||The European Economic and Social Committee (EESC), in cooperation with the Union pour la Méditerranée and the City of Nice. Supported by Veolia Environnement & the University Nice- Sophia Antipolis.|
|Period||[06/04/2009 - 07/04/2009]|
|Working language(s)||ENGLISH , FRENCH|