- Project database
- Mediterranean Union
- Horizon 2020
- Halting Desertification in the Jucar River Basin (HALT-JÚCAR-DES)
Halting Desertification in the Jucar River Basin (HALT-JÚCAR-DES)
The current pilot action funded by the EC (DG Environment) started with the signing of an agreement on 21 December 2011.
The Coordinating entity is the Spanish Consulting firm Evaluación de Recursos Naturales, S.A. (EVREN), and the main partner is the Euro-Mediterranean Information System on know-how in the Water sector (EMWIS/SEMIDE). In addition, the Júcar River Basin Authority (CHJ) acts as a collaborating entity to ensure the coherence of data compilation and assessment.
The duration of the action is 12 months, and the works will be developed throughout 2012.
The objectives of the action:
This action aims at obtaining and assessing
socio-economic, environmental and climatic data, develop updated water accounts
according to water availability and existing demands in the
Specific objectives include:
- Compile and assess data (flows, precipitation, evapotranspiration, climatic aspects, groundwater levels, demands etc.) and adapt them to the European Catchment and Rivers Network System (ECRINS) developed by the EEA; as well as to the UN System of Environmental-Economic Accounting for Water (SEEA-W).
- Propose a methodology for the management of data and their integration in the aforementioned systems.
- Obtain updated water accounts and detect desertification risks in the basin.
- Assess results and transmit them to managers and stakeholders through a participative process.
- Establish a series of recommendations for feasible water savings options and management measures targets.
- Transfer and disseminate results to EU and non-EU Mediterranean countries.
Tasks to be developed
The works of this action are divided in 6 main activities:
- Establishment of background and context.
- Collection of data and contacts with administrations and other partners.
- Use of ECRINS and SEEA-W with local data.
- Assessment and recommendations.
- Meetings and deliverables.
- Dissemination and capacity building.
Through this action it is intended to share with the European water community the possibility of obtaining detailed water accounts that can
contribute to obtain a better knowledge on the European river basins status. In
addition, it will develop an assessment and identification of water saving and
management measures to halt desertification in the basin, through a sustainable
water use in harmony with the environment. This exercise will in turn
contribute to the political process “A Blueprint to safeguard
The project duration was extended to 21 March 2013.